How To Ship Firearms Across State Lines

how to ship firearms

How To Ship Firearms Across State Lines

If you plan on selling your guns or if you plan on storing them for long periods of time, you should be aware of how to ship firearms safely. Most states require that you have a FOID (Firearms Information Act) card before you can store and handle firearms. But while you might believe the procedure is basically the same for either, it’s not. In fact it’s quite the opposite. Knowing how to ship ammunition and firearms is just as important as knowing how to store them safely. This article will cover all you should know about how to ship firearms safely and how to go about transporting ammunition as well.

The very first step in carrying out any transaction with firearms and ammunition is to acquire a FOID (Firearms Information Act) card from the National Shooting Association. You can also obtain one from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. FOID cards are only issued when you have been trained in handling firearms, and in some cases you also must be 18 years old. They are a simple to obtain, and you can usually get one just by filling out an application and paying a small fee.

Once you have obtained your FOID card, you can then start looking into how to ship firearms. When it comes to ammunition, the most common methods are UPS or FedEx. While UPS offers some very inexpensive shipping rates, they don’t offer overnight shipping and their logistics are not ideal for long distance shipments of ammunition. FedEx, on the other hand, does offer overnight shipping but their rates are higher than UPS.

If you want to learn how to ship firearms without aFOID and with proper logistics, you will have to start your shipment process by acquiring a federal firearms license (if you do not have one). You can find out how to apply for an FFL quickly and easily online. Once you receive your license, you can then start contacting local authorities and submitting your application. Depending on where you live and how long you have been a resident, you may have to wait up to ninety days before you can actually purchase a firearm, but once you have it, you can then begin sending out your FFL request for all the paperwork you need.

Once you receive your license, you can then set up your own company to sell firearms. Your business will need a form called a “business permit” to receive a federal firearms license. To ship firearms, however, you will need a carrier that ships with federal license. To obtain the right carrier, you can contact either the U.S. customs office in your state or the National Firearms Association. Each organization will provide a list of approved carriers.

In order to move firearms across state lines, you will need to be licensed through your state’s department of revenue. This means that you can’t just come running up to someone in an alley, hand them a bag of ammunition, and say “Let’s go shoot”. Rather, you will need to obtain a FFL or Class 3 license from the state department of commerce, which usually requires one year of business experience or an equivalent education. Once you have your FFL, you can ship ammunition and firearms between you and other customers by going through your FFL, picking up the weapon, and then simply transporting it back across state lines (see above). Also note that you can only transport one weapon at a time, so be sure to account for how many guns you plan to transport.

Comments are Disabled